Sunday, July 3, 2011

DIY: Patriotic Candles

Preparing for a 4th of July celebration?  Today I made up these patriotic candle holders for a patriotic gathering.


I don't know about you, but I'm planning on having the quintessential 4th of July holiday tomorrow.  I'll be wearing red/white/&blue and attending the local parade in the morning (floats!  firetrucks!  local polititions!  candy!).  The plan is to then go to a bbq, take a dip in the pool, and then head over to the park to see the fantastic fireworks display!

So while waiting to go to the fireworks, I'll be relaxing outside with a glass of iced tea, and sitting next to me will be these cute candle holders with their flames a' flickering.

What you'll need:
  • Glass canning jar (or any type of glass container)
  • Sand
  • Tea candles
  • Colored ribbon

Directions:
  1. Pour sand into jar filling about 3/4 and leaving enough space for the flame to be protected behind glass.  This keeps it from being blown out by the wind while also making it safer.
  2. Nestle the tea candle into the sand, making it level.
  3. Tie your ribbons around the jar one at a time.  I double knotted them before tying the white ribbon into a bow.  I decided to leave the red and blue ribbons hanging.
  4. Light the candles and enjoy!

So if you're in a DIY mood today, try these out for a festive 4th of July!

Until next time...












1 comment:

  1. Awesome idea, Julia! You could use colored sand, too! Mrs. Mo

    ReplyDelete