Sunday, February 5, 2012

DIY: Doily Valentine

In just over a week is the day that some of us love and some of us hate: Valentine's Day.  Now I've been on both sides of the spectrum (loving and hating it) but I've never labeled it as a "Hallmark Holiday."  The day has a lot of history to it.  Before Hallmark took over the holiday, people would hand make valentines for those they cared about and what's to hate about that?

Today I bring you a simple and easy DIY Doily Valentine!  Make one of these for someone you care about!


What you'll need:
  • doilies
  • colored construction paper
  • markers
  • double-sided tape (permanent works best)
  • scissors
  • ruler

 Directions:
  1. Start folding the sides of the doily in create the shape of an envelope.
  2. Use double-sided tape to hold in the sides.
  3. Measure the width of the doily envelope you just created.
  4. Cut out a piece of colored paper to use for the valentine.  Make sure the width of the colored paper is just a tad bit smaller than the width of the doily envelope so it will fit inside easily.
  5. Fold the colored paper to make a card, and attach a doily to the inside (use double-sided tape and then cut off the sides of the doily if it's too wide to fit)
  6. Write your message inside!  Mine is kinda lame, but you get the idea...
  7. Fold up your message and put it inside your doily envelope!  Depending on what your doilies are like, you should be able to see the colored paper show through.  Pretty!

It's nothing too special or fancy, but sometimes it just feels better to make cards instead of dishing out $4 for a Hallmark card that someone else wrote for you.  Mine kinda looks like a 5-year old did it, but I'm sure you can make yours better :)

Now, what I will call a Hallmark Holiday is Sweetest Day...because it is.  But that is a rant for another day!

Enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. That is such an adorable way to make valentines :D

    http://lovelyprettyworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww this is so cute! :)

    http://flyelephantfly.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This valentine card and envelope is so cute! I love how the doily is folded to make the envelope :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww that is so adorable! will try this soon! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simple and sweeeeeeet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is super sweet and special! I really adore hand-made and thoughtful things, and these cards are very lovely! I was just thinking that Hallmark makes bank out of these holidays, and on a day like Feb 14, I prefer to craft something really special for a somebody really special... :) I love this, I may just make these now!
    Have a lovely week!
    Good luck!

    skinnymoonstick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute idea, these are adorable!
    I would much prefer something like that than something generic

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cute! I will definetly try making a few!
    WOOT! I'm your 100th follower! Congrats! :)

    Much love, Vivi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute!
    Might get the kids doing some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty!

    PS. We've a DORIS giveaway on our blog! Check it out!

    ox from NYC!
    -Davie+Erica

    LPFashionPhilosophy

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous idea! Unique and special. You're so creative :)

    http://theclosetintervention.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just awesome. I'm totally going to try it :) Thanks for the great idea. So where are you this year? Loving or hating it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I'm going to have to say that this year I'm loving it ;)

      Delete
  13. This is such a cute idea! You are very creative.

    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute! I love making handmade cards for Valentine's day :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Julia,
    Found for your via Lauren Conard, and I love it! You have great style and this craft = adorable! I am your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete