Monday, September 24, 2012

An Evening of Art

These pictures were taken a few weekends ago when I went to an art opening.  Right next to where I work is a tiny art gallery called 323East and they were having an opening reception for Matt Eaton.


blazer: Target // shirt: Express // jeans: LC Lauren Conrad // 
shoes: Target // necklace: Target // ring: Miner's Den // purse: Target

It was a great opening, and from what I hear there was a pretty good turn out of people.  Taken from 323East Gallery's website:

Befitting the originality of his talent, Matt Eaton is not the easiest artist to bracket or place within a particular genre. He is a master of abstract visuals, using the often overlooked elements of everyday existence to fashion works of subtle charm and undeniable beauty. However, an Eaton painting is anything but passive. His canvases have a muted boldness with lines and colors that seem to coil their strength until they become visible to the eyes of a patient viewer. Think of a charge of dynamite or gunpowder carefully primed for a fuse; the explosion comes when you catch the hitherto undetected fire beneath the cool surface. Eaton is always suggesting that we look and look closely at everything. That's pretty valuable advice.

Overall, it was a pretty fun evening.  I like going to events that are out of my normal routine.  It's nice to shake it up a little, and how can you beat a free event that's close by and serves free wine?  I really don't know.


21 comments:

  1. Love your outfit and that bag!
    It's always great to shake it up a notch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is adorable! I love the tribal print and the wedges!

    http://www.mythriftychic.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to go to events like that too. Glad you had fun! Love your outfit, the blazer is very chic. :)

    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I am seriously crushing on those wedges Julia!
    And seriously? Free event + free wine?? I need to shake things up in my life...haha ;)

    Enter to win a $40 voucher to InDressMe!
    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes it's really refreshing to go to these kinds of art-sy events Julia...& you wore the perfect outfit for it. I just found your blog on Elena's & glad I did!

    REBECCA
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. i havent been to an art gallery in years. sounds really great. your outfit is stunnning - i love that little bag so much! it reminds me of a frye one i wanted last year :D those shoes are really awesome too

    <3 katherine
    of corgis and cocktails // current giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  7. love art shows, they are so different but a lot of fun! we are right by the uica (urban institute for contemporary arts) so I get to go to shows there every now and again! can't beat free wine either ;)

    Love the chic outfit!! so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A free event that serves free wine? I'm there. You look super cute, love your tee!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like such a fun event (and free vino never hurts either! Loving your necklace paired with that great tribal print shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the detail on that shirt - is it sequins?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, they're sequins! I love that added touch :D

      Delete
  11. Ahhh I love it!

    -e

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love art events and try to attend as many as possible-great way to meet incredible people and get inspiration! Love the top and necklace!
    Xo
    Elena
    http://dcinstyle.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look fantastic...I love all your accessories in this outfit!


    Natasha ~ TashaDelrae.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I went to the Dixon Museum here on Sunday because I was bored! It wasn't anything like a large museum in a city. I miss being around art and culture. I feel like I'm missing something when I don't go to museums regularly. I also have to say I really love what you're wearing! When did you get that blazer at Target?! It really fits the kind of black blazer I've been looking for! Or maybe it just looks better or "right" on you...Hmmm....-Jess

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that your outfit is practically head-to-toe Target! Target is fab and they have affordable fashions and you look gorgeous! I bet the art opening was fun =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. im so jealous of your red hair. it looks so beautiful! your outfit is awesome especially that right i love the little hint of color!

    http://everythingsalwayssunny.blogspot.com

    kristin
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your corn-blonde hair! :)

    ReplyDelete